Thursday, January 6, 2011

THE PRESIDIO OF SAN FRANCISCO, WHERE DID IT GO.

Please forgive me for taking such a long time between post , but I really do have other things going on. Like trying to get a volunteer position at The Golden Gate National Parks as my first volunteer spot which will enable me to volunteer in other parks around the country.
The reason I want to start with the The Golden Gate National Parks is that it use to be an army
base. And I spent a lot of time there...
Back in the late 60' after doing a year in Vietnam I was stationed at Walter Reed General Hospital on the Presidio Army Base right in the middle of one of the most beautiful city's in the world, San Francisco, CA..

After working in surgery, as a surgical scrub technician for about 6 months, I transferred to Letterman Army Institute of Research (L.A.I.R.), where I became a Surgical Research Photographer in Dental Research (pretty impressive huh).

Because I had a family (my wife Cheryl and my son Gary Jr.) the army supplied me with housing
at Fort Barry on the North side of the Golden Gate Bridge.


Above are a few views from the Fort Barry Hills and I have to say it was a wonder place
to be stationed.
Yes, this is the house where we lived and is now housing Park employees.
Back in the 70's the developers very much wanted to get their hands on this property, but the people fought to give it to the National Parks and to the people.
Hard to believe, they actually did the RIGHT THING.
I will let you know how I do with the volunteering. So stay tuned.



Bob and Me





PS...To my brother Jim, get off your butte and go play some golf in some warm weather.

No comments:

Post a Comment