Sunday, December 5, 2010

MORE ABOUT AUSTIN

I HAVE TO GET THIS POST FINISHED OR I'LL GET ANOTHER CALL FROM MY DAUGHTER-IN-LAW STACY AND HER FRIEND KIM.

I have left Austin but I still have a few things to share with you about my stay there. So please forgive me for not keeping up with the blog in real time. Of course if I did keep up in real time,
blogging would be about all I'd have time for.

Two of the greatest things I liked about Austin... The first, is my daughters great cooking. While I was staying with her, she made one of the best Pound Cakes I ever eaten. And a Peach Cobbler that made you want to slap somebody. I'm not sure where she learned to cook, but I think she picked a lot of it up from Julia Child.

Ok folks, my daughter likes to have a little wine when she cooks and she has been saving the corks over a long period of time or my daughter is a wine-o.Where ever she picked it up from, she still a fantastic cook.

The second, is the legendary Texas BBQ. Now I've had pork ribs, beef ribs and baby back ribs,
but I had never had real Texas BBQ Beef Brisket.

My first experience with Brisket was at Rudy's. They tell me that Rudy's pits are fired with 100
per cent oak wood which burn much slower than the mesquite used by others. All I know for sure, is that it taste great.

My almost son-in law (Clayton) said he would take me to the small town of Lockhart the BBQ Capitol of Texas, where some of the oldest BBQ joints in the country are located.

When you step into Lockhart you truly step back in time about a hundred years. With beautiful tree lined streets, lots of antique shops and world famous barbecue restaurants (Blacks and Smitty's to name a couple).

Right in the center of town is the Caldwell County Courthouse, completed in 1894 and quite a site to see. Ok, I did not have the time to go around and get the history on all the building in Lockhart but if you really want to know, then get off of this blog and google Lockhart, Texas.

Here is a quick look around town...

This has to be one of the first in the country.





I tried some of the other BBQ places, and even though they had a lot more history,Align Left
I think Rudy's is still my favorite.
We use to call my youngest grandson "Baby Joey",
Now we just call him "Joey".



As you can see my family are all such posers, That's why I love them.

Well there you go, some photos and some words, I guess that's what a blog is. You can probably tell I'm getting tired so I'll take a break for now and finish this up latter.

Thanks to all for following,
Gary and Bob

No comments:

Post a Comment