Tuesday, November 30, 2010

AUSTIN, TEXAS - NOW ONE OF MY FAVORITE PLACES

My son Gary Jr. took this shot of Bob and I just before I left Cleveland.
He is not a bad photographer - but he's no Gary Burnett Sr.


I spent a week in Austin, TX with my daughter Stephanie, her long time boyfriend and my grandson Joey. Who by the way, will be in the NFL someday. The three of them went out of
there way to make sure I got the full tour of Austin. Stephanie drove me around the city to
take photos, but since I was only there for a week we could not shoot every thing, but I did get a few good shots.

Even though we were a long distance from the city I still wanted to shoot the State Capitol and part of the Austin skyline. Steph tells me she will take me downtown later for some closer views.

First she wanted to show me the Colorado River, that's right The Colorado River in Texas. If you
ask the locals, they will tell you that theirs was the first. Since I didn't have time to do research I just have to take their word for it. If you find out which came first, please let the rest of us know.

This is one of the homes on the river, my daughter wanted me to tell you it was her house but we
know better, don't we?

From here Stephanie insisted that we go to the Oasis Restaurant, that sits high above Lake Travis to watch the sunset. The Oasis has been featured in national magazines and on television
so I had to see it for myself.

We got there and the place was packed and I was informed that it is a tradition in Austin to go to
the Oasis for a bite to eat and to watch the sun go down. We arrived at the Oasis about an hour before sunset so I found a good spot to set up my tripod and camera. Take a look at some of the shots I took of the view from the giant deck of the Oasis.



While I was snapping these shots the General Manager of the Oasis just happen to be walking by
and actually took the time to stop to talk and give me some of the history behind the sunset watching. So if you do decide to go to Austin, TX and visit the Oasis, make sure you say hello to
Mo Lasater / GM.

While Mo and I talked and waited for the sun to slowly set in the west, and believe me it was worth the wait.


As the sun finally set behind the hills, I was caught off guard when the people on the deck gave the sun a large and spontaneous round of applause. And as if to come back for a curtain call, the the sun really put on a show.




To be honest with you, I think they were applauding GOD, but that's just me.

Well I must turn in for the night, but I will blog you again in a day or two.

Thanks to all,

Gary and Bob


Bob is the white guy.....

No comments:

Post a Comment