Thursday, December 15, 2011

THEY DON'T CALL IT GRAND FOR NOTHING!!!

Well I made t to the Grand Canyon and after meeting with me new head ranger, Libby Schaaf, she ask if I would like to take a 5 minute walk to the rim of the canyon. Of course I said yes, and this is what I saw.

Pretty spectacular don't you think. Well if you think that's spectacular just wait.

I got here on Tuesday, November 29th, It was a clear sunny day and the lighting on the Canyon was fantastic. I had Wednesday off to get settled in and my first day was Thursday. I got off at 5:30pm. I was pretty tired so I went right to bed. The altitude here is about 7000 feet and the air is a lot thinner than it is at sea level in the San Francisco Bay Area. I was told it would take a few day to get use to it.

The next morning when I went to take a look at the Canyon, this is what I saw.


Yep, you guessed it SNOW!! and lots of it. But it was different and more beautiful than any snow I had ever seen.

Maybe it was the bright blue sky and warming temperatures as the day went on but what ever it is, I love it .



Even Bob said, hey lets stop here and take a picture of us in the snow. I tried to tell him it was not a good idea to stop in the middle of the road for a picture. He stopped anyway and we took this photo ( Bob's kind of crazy that way).


I talked to some of my friends and family on the phone that day and I got the same response from most of them, "I didn't know it snowed in Arizona". Well trust me it snows in Arizona!!!

When it snowed like this back home in Ohio, all I wanted to do was to stay home and watch reruns of Walker Texas Ranger and stuff my chubby little face. But not here, I just wanted to get out and explore.


Above, is the Santa Fe Railroad Depot. It opened for business in 1910. Today you can still ride the train into the Grand Canyon Depot from Williams, Arizona.


This is the Hopi House designed by Architect Mary Colter, her first major assignment at the Grand Canyon.

I shot the photo below at sunset just before going home. I also shot some pretty nice images of the Canyon which I will show you on my next post.

Until then, Bob and Me will say good night.

No comments:

Post a Comment